Am I the only person that is afraid to use a grill? I am terrified I will burst into flames once I turn it on. Terrified.
We used to have a charcoal grill, and I almost got the nerve to get that working. But then my husband decided to be fancy and buy a gas grill.
I love it when he grills, and fortunately for me, that is about three times a week. I want to learn how to do it. Wait. I take that back. I want to want to learn how to turn the thing on.
But then if I was to work it, what would he do?
So, while he grills hunks of meat, sausage, and corn, I crock-pot-it.
No worries of bursting into flames, no face burn, and no clean up if you use a liner (I highly suggest it!). Seriously, what could be easier?
This is a delicious meal that makes everyone happy. Serve with barbecue sauce, or homemade.
The key to this perfect sandwich is pickles. Don’t forget!
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup plus 2 T. spicy brown mustard
- 1 T. molasses
- 2 T. packed light brown sugar
- 2 t. paprika
- 1 3-4 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 links andouille sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1½ cups water, vinegar, ketchup, ¼ cup mustard, molasses, and 1 T. brown sugar.
- Pour into a 7-8 quart slow cooker.
- On a shallow plate, combine the remaining brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Rub the paprika mixture all over the pork, and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- After 8 hours, the pork should be tender. Take pork out of slow cooker and place in a large bowl.
- Shred with two forks, and cut the sausage into chunks.
- Skim the fat off the juices in the slow cooker, and strain into a large saucepan.
- Bring the juices to a boil, and let them cook until the sauce has reduced by about on-third (about 15 minutes).
- Toss the meat mixture with the reduced sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve on buns with lots of pickles!
** Linked to Just Us Four, Sunny Simple Life, The Pin Junkie, The Better Baker, Simply Designing, Simply Sweet Home, While He Was Napping, Rattlebridge Farm, The Best Blog Recipes, Serenity Now, My Romantic Home, Finding Fabulous, Young and Crafty, Flour Me With Love, Huckleberry Love, Keeping it Simple, Piggy in Polka Dots, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Rain on a Tin Roof, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Alderberry Hill, Sew Can Do, This Gal Cooks, Skip To My Lou, Watch Out Martha, Chef in Training, The Recipe Critic, Mandy’s Recipe Box, Nap-Time Creations, Lil Luna, and The Shabby Nest.